guix-devel

Re: [outreach] Help trying to create R package

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: [outreach] Help trying to create R package
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 21:40:01 -0300

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 3:25 PM Catonano <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Laura !
>
> Il giorno sab 13 ott 2018 alle ore 15:37 Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ha
> scritto:
> >
> >  Hi!
> > I'm creating a new thread so that it does not end up messy.
> > I am reading about defining new packages, and since I have always
> > installed R with apt, I am trying to do so with ./configure make make
> > install to have it running on my VM, and then try to create the
> > package and check if both works
>
> you don't need to package R yourself, R is already packaged and available in
> Guix, i believe.
>
> If you want to package a R based package for Guix you can use the so called
> Cran importer
>
> Try this line at the prompt
>
> guix import cran your-R-package
>
> This line invokes a so called importer and the importer should return you the
> recipe of your R package written in scheme
>
> You could append such definition to an existing Guix file (probably with some
> minor tweaks) and that should allow you to build the package and all the
> dependencies will be taken care of automatically
>
> I did this myself some time ago
>
> In order to append the definition of your package to an existing Guix file
> you will probably need some more guidance, but for now you could just run the
> importer and let us now what you obtained
>
> Probably you'll need to build the package, then modify the recipe a bit,
> build it again... for a few times; that's ok
>
> You can read about the importers here
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-import.html#Invoking-guix-import

Thanks both of you for helping with this, since I was reading all the
reference guide  to see how to create a package for whole R while
thinking that there is no time for that.

> > substitute: guile: warning: failed to install locale
> > substitute: hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or
> > `glibc-locales' package and
> > substitute: defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:
> > substitute:
> > substitute:      guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
> > substitute:      export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
> > substitute:
> > substitute: See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more
> > info.
> >
> > When I run guix package -I I get:
> > hello    2.10    out
> > /gnu/store/bihfrh609gkxb9dp7n96wlpigiv3krfy-hello-2.10
> > recutils    1.7    out
> > /gnu/store/6h02na6yz9smc7c7g62ss03kp4yhqpc1-recutils-1.7
> > glibc-locales    2.27    out
> > /gnu/store/s28fmfrq8r0c688x59cj0fcyh2pv87nj-glibc-locales-2.27
> > glibc-utf8-locales    2.27    out
> > /gnu/store/mbns811n696fl7g060cx6jqjh75mlj8i-glibc-utf8-locales-2.27
> > gfortran    7.3.0    out
> > /gnu/store/mw65pcca7x7mmq8v2r427f3plrahhyxl-gfortran-7.3.0
> > zlib    1.2.11    out
> > /gnu/store/fxiwj2wpp11sif613axdax7gmwzsg6kp-zlib-1.2.11
> > bzip2    1.0.6    out
> > /gnu/store/rw1ilvs76rf2p4p0bi1fx3bffprwwb7g-bzip2-1.0.6
> >
> > And even at the bottom of my .bashrc I have:
> >
> >   export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
> >     export PATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
> >     export CPATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/include${CPATH:+:}$CPATH"
> >     export
> > LIBRARY_PATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/lib${LIBRARY_PATH:+:}$LIBRARY_PATH"
>
> when running Guix on top of a foreign distribution, this problem is very
> common.
> I lived with this for several months myself
>
> Reaching a solution to this can be tedious and often the solutions are short
> lived
>
> Because this has to do with how the basic C libraries provided by Guix and
> those provided by the foreign distro relate with each other (usually not so
> well)
>
> But this is not critical, you can successfully package some R based packages
> for Guix anyway
Thank you for this too , I have been stuck with it without knowing
"why is this happening if I have already exported, sourced just in
case" and so on. It is a warning and things end up installed but you
never know if it can affect something else.