guix-devel

Re: [outreachy] am I in the right track to contribute

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: [outreachy] am I in the right track to contribute
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 11:31:26 -0300

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:24 AM Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>
> Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 11., Cs, 3:25):
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 3:12 PM Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hello Laura,
> > >
> > > Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 10., Sze
> > > 18:41):

> > > No worries, one day off is perfectly ok, however if you did not get an
> > > answer in 3 or 4 days, then please contact us, since in that case there
> > > is some communications mistake.
> > > Last time losing sound happened to me after a dist-upgrade in ubuntu, and
> > > turned out, that the pulseaudio package shipped with a configuration that
> > > was not compatible with the version of the binaries supplied. I ran it in
> > > the foreground, and in the startup messages or in the log I found that it
> > > could not parse the config. It can be something entirely different
> > > though. I hope this helps.
> >
> > Thanks :) Unluckily i made a mistake and ended up needing  a fresh
> > install. But I am the kind of person that always has data backup and
> > is aware of the software and utilities that needs. Tomorrow I will go
> > on with my VMs, the one with only Guix, and one with GuixSD and start
> > with the package stuff, so that I can contribute as much as I can,
> > even if I am not chosen for outreachy.
>
> Sorry to hear that, but glad that you did not suffer any data loss.
> Having the VMs back by tomorrow is nice, thanks for the update.
Luckily yesterday I ended up late at night and found that I could
import my VM with Ubuntu guest with guix running. I do have a
question. I use Virtualbox, and Downloaded the .iso file of GuixSD, I
have just installed the VM for GuixSD in VirtualBox - I read that in
the documentation it is mentioned to use quemu- but strangely I
managed to install it without any problems in VirtualBox with the .iso
 I made the internet connection work, because the interfacewas down,
running other commands not shown in  the documentation, now I have it
strangely in state unknown but tried ping and works.
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Preparing-for-Installation.html#Preparing-for-Installation
(I am writing down in my daily journal everything I am encountering, )
I have even found that I cannot run shutdown -h now, don't know why
tried shutdown --help and it does not show the option, or read
manpages, or fin where .bash_history is located.

> > If I do the R packaging, where do I record in Guix? And I am keeping
> > my daily journal with the problems I encounter, but I am not very sure
> > about where to upload it for Guix. As regards my daily journal. is it
> > OK to hace it in Google Drive? I know its FOSS, but it's a good way of
> > easily updating the doc and having it accesible. And in outreachy it
> > says that Refining current documentation is a contribution too. I
> > don't know if this applies also to problems I encounter and how I
> > managed to solve them.
> >

> If you have a working package, and you followed the contribution guide, you
> got to the part
> where you can send your patch. The debbugs issue tracker creates an issue for
> the patches
> sent to address@hidden These patches are then reviewed, we will give you
> feedback,
> and when it is in a shape to include it in guix, we will accept it, upstream
> the changes and close
> the issue. This completes the contibution. Then you will have to record this
> on the Outreachy site.
> https://www.outreachy.org/apply/
>  in this point:
> 4. Record in-progress contributions on the Outreachy website. You'll need to
> go to the community landing page linked from the projects listing page. Then
> click the 'Record Contribution' button. Add links and descriptions to your
> contributions and the project timeline before the application deadline. You
> can always go back and edit your recorded contributions. A contribution
> doesn't have to be merged or accepted to be recorded.
> describes the process.
> Note that you can record the contibution while it is still in progress.

Maybe it is because I'm kind of sleepy, but I dont understand very
well this part. Should I be recording an in progress contribution
without having sent it to you first? Or after sending it to the guix
patches mail without receiving the feedback?>
> You can get faster responses if you CC your mentors to the message sent to
> guix-patches, so that we can notice the incoming patch.
>
> For now I suggest sending the notes with the difficulties encountered in a
> mail to the devel list, accompanied with suggestions on how to clarify the
> relevant parts of the documentation. Documentation changes tend to take
> longer, as it usually involves community discussion, but you can get this
> started. You can keep your private copy of these on google drive, and it is
> possible to create a git repo somewhere to keep track of a file with these,
> preferably an org mode text document.
> WDYT?
Yes,  for me it is OK. I have an account in bitbucket, but because it
allows me to have private repos without having to pay extra for that -
most people here use github. Is it ok to use it even it is not FOSS? I
was reading what an org mode text document is. I know about people
arguing about emacs-vi. Do I need to install emacs for that? I have
always been a vi-vim user. Don't mind installing it, or using another
repo, but please let me know.