guix-devel

Re: Tracker & Gnome

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: Tracker & Gnome
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 21:50:34 +0200

On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 14:42:31 -0500
Brett Gilio <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>
> > Hello Brett,
> >
> > To complete what Nils wrote, Tracker is indeed lagging behind on
> > master:
> >
> > --8<---------------cut
> > here---------------start------------->8---
> > $ guix refresh tracker
> > gnu/packages/gnome.scm:5715:13: tracker would be upgraded from
> > 1.12.3 to 2.0.4
> > --8<---------------cut
> > here---------------end--------------->8---
> >
> > You could try upgrading it and see what happens.
> >
> > In fact, I see that Ricardo upgraded Tracker in
> > ‘wip-gnome-updates’:
> >

> > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=wip-gnome-upgrades&id=dd9110df3ad1efaf5cf716f6be5b710b5d348400
> >
> > Ricardo, do you think we could cherry-pick it on ‘master’?
> > ‘guix
> > refresh -l tracker’ shows only 4 dependent packages.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ludo’.
>
> Hi Ludo,
>
> Thank you for your insight.
>
> I tried passing guix refresh -u tracker to the terminal and am
> getting
> this output
>
> guix refresh: error: mkstemp!: Read-only file system

Hi Brett,

it looks like you are trying this with the "installed" guix. But you
need to go from the checked out git repository. You will find
instructions here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html#Building-from-Git

Basicly, you git clone the sources. Then with

guix environment guix

you enter an environment with all dev dependencies for Guix.

Then you can build it with

./bootstrap && ./configure --localstatedir=/var && make

Finally, execute guix from source:

./pre-inst-env guix refresh -u

After that, you will find local changes and you can check and prepare
the patch.

Björn