guix-devel

Re: Blog: Guix packaging tutorial

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Blog: Guix packaging tutorial
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 19:34:56 +0200

Thanks for this thorough review, Ludovic!

I've taken most of your comments into account.  A few more questions:

> s/conventionally.*/typically used for read-only global variables/

But aren't they generated in scope?  I think we should mention this, or else
new users try to access them out of scope.

> It doesn’t make much sense to propagate a tarball, does it?

Not really, but I just wanted to use "propagated input".  We need a better
example.  Any idea?

> > The astute reader may have noticed the quasi-quote and comma syntax in the
> > argument field.  Indeed, the build code in the package declaration should
> > not be
> > evaluated on the client side, but only when passed to the Guix daemon.  This
> > mechanism of passing code around two running processes is called
> > [[https://arxiv.org/abs/1709.00833][code staging]].
> > See
> > [[https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/G_002dExpressions.html][the
> >  "G-Expressions" chapter]] from the manual.
>
> Though precisely package definitions don’t use gexps yet…  Not sure if
> we should mention it; maybe it’s outside the scope of this tutorial.

Hmmm... I think it's important to mention why code is not evaluated.  Maybe this
rather obscure paragraph could be simplified?
I'll remove the mention to G-exp, it does not belong here indeed.

> For now please use gnu.org/software/guix URLs.

Ok for this one, but I'd also like to link to the channels section in the
manual, but it's not on gnu.org.  Or is it?

Last but not least, what should I do next?  Should we wait for more reviews?
Should I go ahead and push to master?

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt