guix-devel

Re: bootstrap: i686-linux now builds without binutils, gcc seeds

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: bootstrap: i686-linux now builds without binutils, gcc seeds
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 20:07:54 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:

> Just to give you a heads up: four `Oops' fixup-commits later I decided
> to squash them again and create a fresh wip-bootstrap: d7feea557.
>
> I think it could be ready for a rename to core-updates-next.
>
> $ guix hash -r /gnu/store/y7wy6yr4j19f7d5xlqdln094nivy4cx3-hello-2.10
> 0ab0nazn6v0ybkig9xn58xjk4rqcyanp4wy4rywf32nyl8bgbly5

I finally realised what it really means that the GuixSD bootstrap has
`binutils-cross-boot0' (I really think that should be reflected in the
SCM name too?) and `gcc-cross-boot0': bolting the x86_64-linux bootstrap
onto the i686-linux Mes bootstrap proved to be "almost" trivial (very
low hanging fruit I think whas wat Ludovic said).

So, I took the freedom to add another commit onto wip-bootstrap that
also replaces the x86_64-linux bootstrap.  I realise that this commit
may have its own problems; so when moving to core-updates-next we may
want to be a bit careful before taking it in.

Greetings,
janneke