guix-devel

Re: FOSDEM 2019 - devroom proposal

From: fis trivial
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2019 - devroom proposal
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2018 13:32:04 +0000

Björn Höfling writes:

> On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 13:25:15 +0200
> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> One week left to submit a proposal.  Manolis, Pjotr: please let us
>> know if you need more input!
>
> I added another talk that I could give: Hacking free software with GNU
> Guix, using Haunt as an example. That's noting new, but a concise
> example of using guix build -S, guix environment, guix build --source
> in order to quickly and nicely hack around with a free software project.

Hi, if you are giving a talk for usual Guix usage, I blogged a mis-use of Guix:

    By including nautilus (file manager from gnome) as --ad-hoc argument of
    Guix environment, you can create an illusion of having a GUI shell spawned
    from Guix environment.

It's not something really worth mentioning, but maybe some others might find if
useful to have a GUI shell spawned from guix.

> I planned this as a blog post but I can give it as a talk if you think
> this is of interest. Added it to both the libreplanet and scheme wiki.
> Don't know which one is the "master" now?
>

>> Last year, someone (was it you, Björn?) suggested having a booth at
>> FOSDEM.  If you’re still motivated, now’s probably a good time to get
>> started with this.  :-)
>
> Yeah, that was me :-) I will bring that up in a new thread.
>
> Björn

Jiaming