guix-devel

FOSDEM 2019 - stand

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: FOSDEM 2019 - stand
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2018 01:03:25 +0200

Hi Guix,

FOSDEM also offers stands where you can present your project and get
directly in contact with interested people. What do you think? Should
we get one?

Details can be found here:

https://fosdem.org/2019/news/2018-08-10-call-for-participation/

* Application deadline: 2018-11-02, so there is a bit more time left.
* There are no costs.
* We get a 180x80cm table, two chairs.
* Power socket available.
* WiFi as usual available.
* We commit us to have at least 2 people at the stand during whole
FOSDEM.

I personally like to walk to the stands and get directly in touch with
the people you heard in a talk (or you missed). Do we want this? Do we
find enough people-power to do it?

I would suggest at least three timeslots for each day, so we would have
12 slots in total. Who will spend his time at the stand? Of cause, I'm
volunteering for a slot or two and can organize things.

Ideas to present:

* A poster of a easy and a complex dependency graph.
* A poster of a nice system declaration.
* Notebook with GuixSD installed, many generations. Show how you can
install/remove packages, switch generations, etc. People can try out
things on their own.
* Can we show some ARM hardware or fancy boards with Guix running on
them?
* Replicant phone with Guix running?
* Stickers
* We should have T-Shirts for us.

The stands are usually very demanded. We have better chances if we
share the table with some other project. Should we do that? And if,
with which project?

* Can we get some reproducible-builds/bootstrappable corporation?
Debian?
* Nix?
* Guile?

Here is the list from the last two years:

https://archive.fosdem.org/2018/stands/
https://archive.fosdem.org/2017/stands/

Björn