guix-devel

Re: libvirt with modified QEMU and OVMF

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: libvirt with modified QEMU and OVMF
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 23:05:13 +0200

Hello,

(+Cc: guix-devel.)

Lars Böckel <address@hidden> skribis:

> thanks for the suggestion. I had success with a snipplet similiar to
> yours. So i would call that issue "fixed" even though its not pretty.

Cool.

> i would like to push the issue with OVMF in libvirt again:
>
> I would like to have OVMF(UEFI) capability with QEMU. In NixOS you can
> achieve this with
>
>   virtualisation.libvirtd.enable = true;
>   virtualisation.libvirtd.qemuOvmf = true;
>    virtualisation.libvirtd.qemuVerbatimConfig = ''
>      nvram = [ "${pkgs.OVMF}/FV/OVMF.fd:${pkgs.OVMF}/FV/OVMF_VARS.fd" ]
>      user = "1000"
>    '';
>
> the "user" part is not necessary but is required for system VMs in
> combination with qemu's pulseaudio driver. qemuVerbatimConfig is the
> config that is at /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf in traditional GNU/Linux
> distributions.

I don’t know about OVMF but IIUC, what you need here is to create
/etc/libvirt/qemu.conf.  To do that, you can something along these
lines:

  (simple-service 'qemu-conf etc-service-type
                  `(("libvirt/qemu.conf"
                     ,(mixed-text-file "qemu.conf"
                                        "nvarm = "
                                        ovmf "/FV/OVMF.fd:…'))))

Would that work?

(Actually the “libvirt/” bit is only possible since commit
5dec93bb8ba89605bce2f9a5ee9c4dbadeee3b58, a few minutes ago…)

We could provide a proper abstraction on top of that if needed, but I’m
not familiar with libvirt.  If you have ideas on how to improve this,
that’d be great!

Thanks,
Ludo’.