guix-devel

Re: FOSDEM 2019

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2019
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2018 16:25:58 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> We haven’t discussed the kind of event we would like to have, so here
> are some thoughts.  I think it would be a good idea to use this
> opportunity to facilitate small group projects.  We could start by
> having everyone think of a small Guix-related project, decide on 5 of
> them (so that everyone has something they find interesting), then head
> off into separate group work for half an hour with an option to extend
> for another half hour (or moving to another group).
>
> At the end of each session one person from each group shares with the
> other attending people the results of their session.  (No more than a
> few minutes each.)

I’m all for it!

Topics could be things like specific items of the 1.0 road map,
addressing specific usability issues, improving the Cuirass web UI,
socket activations and Fiberized Shepherd, etc.  Each topic should be
rather concrete, focused, and actionable IMO.

> Another fun thing we could do is a skill share session where people
> volunteer to teach one thing to anyone who would like to listen.
> (E.g. how to review patch submissions on Debbugs effectively; or how to
> use git rebase without misery; using Geiser with Guix; how to contribute
> translations; little IRC tricks; etc.)

Agreed, that’s an aspect of the R-B Summits that I enjoyed!  IIRC we had
these sessions after lunch, which was also a good away to awaken.  ;-)

> I would like to keep the number of talks to a minimum and leave out
> introductory talks completely (that would be more suited for a general
> FOSDEM audience).  Instead I’d like to see more active
> self-organisation.

I agree.

Thanks,
Ludo’.