guix-devel

Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 21:12:09 -0400

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 11:03:07 +0200, Clément Lassieur wrote:
> Firefox 52 isn't supported anymore upstream[1] and we don't have a
> package for Firefox 60.  Currently the only alternative is Epiphany but
> it's close to unusable (it crashes every 5 minutes, and sometimes
> freezes my computer).

This is a big problem.  Thanks for keeping up with the status.

I'll get into contact with the necessary people on behalf of GNU to
figure out the current status of IceCat.

But as was stated in another thread, once we _do_ have an updated IceCat
source distribution, we need it packaged for Guix, and that is quite the
undertaking.  Has anyone pursued packaging modern versions of vanilla FF
in recent months?

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer