guix-devel

Re: Ensuring we don't break user systems

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: Ensuring we don't break user systems
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 21:16:34 +0000

We just have 2 different views here.

When Guix started, which was about 3 years before I joined, the model
was okay. Between 2015 and now the amount of breakage has been
extremely reduced due to discussions about more reasonable development
models. For a while now we have an informal rfc for bigger changes -
this is a result from "please don't do that without asking first"
because some of us got upset about assuming that all changes are okay.

I sympathize with your point of view - in production even a couple of
breaking commits are bad.

We have grown over the last years, but developing reasonable deployment
models which fit our group takes time.

I'm okay with defining a branching model and use it once we have the
tooling and infrastructure for it.

Dan Partelly transcribed 2.4K bytes: