guix-devel

Re: %desktop-services now depends on Qt 5, via colord

From: Brett Gilio
Subject: Re: %desktop-services now depends on Qt 5, via colord
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 13:57:51 -0500

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hello,

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> writes:
It sounds like adding Qt to hplip adds plenty of GUI goodies. Could we
leave hplip as-is and have sane-backends depend on a Qt-less
hplip-minimal or hplip-nogui, since it shouldn't need any GUI from hplip?

I haven't looked closely, but that sounds like a good approach.

+1 for not having Qt in %desktop-services.

Ludo’.

I really think that having Qt in %desktop-services creates an issue regarding not only the necessary dependencies, but also the fact that Qt has a propensity to issue non-free or semi-free components in relevant
updates to their libraries and framework. I only worry about the
possible predictability of this happening to the required dependencies and ultimately causing a conflict with the freedom of the end-user.

I might be over-thinking it.

But, another issue is that some people with limited computer resources
might find that having these Qt dependencies to be a real problem.

--
Brett M. Gilio
Free Software Foundation, Member