guix-devel

linux 4.17.7 not suitable for i386

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: linux 4.17.7 not suitable for i386
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 11:36:08 -0400

FYI, the latest stable Linux release (4.17.7) is not suitable for i386
(i686-linux) systems. Quoting Greg Kroah-Hartman:

"NOTE, this kernel release is broken for i386 systems.  If you are
running such a machine, do NOT update to this release, you will not be
able to boot properly.

I did this release anyway with this known problem as there is a fix in
here for x86-64 systems that was nasty to track down and was affecting
people.  Given that the huge majority of systems are NOT i386, I felt
this was a safe release to do at this point in time."

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/7/17/434

So, we should take care to preserve the linux-libre 4.17.6 package
definition for i686-linux, or skip this release.