guix-devel

Creating a guix build from source system afresh

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Creating a guix build from source system afresh
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 19:12:17 +0200

You may know that I do a build guix from guix generally which looks
like

    env -i /bin/bash --login --noprofile --norc
    guix environment guix --ad-hoc help2man git strace \   pkg-config less vim
binutils coreutils grep guile guile-git guile-json gcc po4a guile-sqlite3

followed by configure, make etc.

(see https://gitlab.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/INSTALL.org#L564)

On one system - still on guix 0.12 - this won't work anymore - some
packages have disappeared. One thing I can try is create a nar archive
elsewhere of these tools (we don't happen to have a package for that?)
and bump that across.

Now I am doing this I realise it could be a great convenience for people
wanting to start building from source on a non-Guix system when we would
provide a guix pack. It would even allow Docker builds.

I think it is one of the missing links that people can not easily build Guix
from scratch.

But maybe this is just another dumb idea ;)

Pj.