guix-devel

Having a Guix archive on the download page?

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Having a Guix archive on the download page?
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 14:17:12 +0200

Is it an idea to also have a current Guix archive on the download
page? Or at least a link to one?

   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/download/

Ever so often I need to rescue a running Guix system which won't run
guix pull and even a build-from-source quickly. Being able to do

   guix archive --import < guix-latest.nar

or something similar would be rather convenient.

Now I am packing my own archive from a VM because my systems won't
build a recent tree and guix pull requires guile-git which won't build
in turn. It is one of those days that I look to either pack guix or
have a long slog of building just to get going again...

With a downloadable archive, and with the recent improvement of guix
pull, I think anyone can rescue quickly any guix daemon and build
system.

The key term is: convenience.

Pj.