guix-devel

Re: RFC: Portability should be a higher priority for Guix (was Re: 01/01

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: RFC: Portability should be a higher priority for Guix (was Re: 01/01: build-system/meson: Really skip the 'fix-runpath' phase on armhf.)
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 10:50:37 +0200

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> Another problem is that Guile 2.2's compiler has become so heavy that
> it's nearly unbearable to use on slower hardware.  Simply running "make"
> in my Guix git checkout after updating on my mips-based Yeeloong is so
> slow that I'm in the habit of letting it run overnight.

This is a topic on its own, and I really think we can and should do
better.  I posted observations on where the compiler is spending its
time and memory earlier; Andy pushed improvements, but I believe there’s
much more than can be done:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2017-10/msg00035.html
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2017-05/msg00033.html

Ludo’.