guix-devel

Re: Guix support in cachix

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Guix support in cachix
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 16:17:35 +0200

> Hello!
>
> Oleg Pykhalov <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Domen Kožar <address@hidden> recently was in #guix (IRC) 2 days ago asking
>> about support of Guix in cachix.  Also he opened an issue on GitHub:
>>
>>> I'm opening this issue for interest around supporting Guix.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/cachix/cachix/issues/85
>
> Cachix looks interesting!  It’s good to collaboratively provide
> binaries.  It’s easier than having everyone set up ‘guix publish’, at
> the cost of being more centralized.
>
> The “cachix use <name>” example on https://cachix.org/ glosses over
> security “details” though.  I wonder how one gets to authenticate a
> particular user of Cachix and to authorize binaries coming from them.
> There’s also the issue that said user could be publishing binaries they
> themselves obtained from a source that you do not trust yourself.  Tough
> issues!

I asked about discovering signing keys and apparently you'll find it at
https://<user>.cachix.net, and that's the substitute URL too.

It looks useful for those who don't want to or can't publish their own
substitutes.  And `guix challenge` makes it easy to verify the builds
coming from a particular "channel".

I would not want to publish all my builds there, though.  Not sure how
it would be integrated on the client side.