guix-devel

Re: 01/01: build-system/meson: Really skip the 'fix-runpath' phase on ar

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: 01/01: build-system/meson: Really skip the 'fix-runpath' phase on armhf.
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 20:28:28 +0200

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Marius,
>
> address@hidden (Marius Bakke) writes:
>
>> mbakke pushed a commit to branch staging
>> in repository guix.
>>
>> commit cb4b508cd68df89bfbd5255a0c5569f8318ad50f
>> Author: Marius Bakke <address@hidden>
>> Date:   Mon Jul 2 12:07:58 2018 +0200
>>
>>     build-system/meson: Really skip the 'fix-runpath' phase on armhf.
>>
>>     This follows up commit d5b5a15a4046362377f1a45d466b43bb6e93d4f which
>> doesn't
>>     work because %current-system etc expands before the actual build.
>
> I'm disappointed by this workaround that simply removes the
> 'fix-runpath' phase on armhf.  Is that phase needed, or is it truly
> optional?  What does the phase accomplish, and how will armhf users be
> disadvantaged by the removal of that phase?

I'm sorry, I forgot to address your actual concerns.  The (buggy)
workaround was put in place and discussed in
<https://bugs.gnu.org/30761>.  The meat of it can be found in (guix
build-system meson):

    ;; XXX PatchELF fails to build on armhf, so we skip
    ;; the 'fix-runpath' phase there for now.  It is used
    ;; to avoid superfluous entries in RUNPATH as described
    ;; in <https://bugs.gnu.org/28444#46>, so armhf may now
    ;; have different runtime dependencies from other arches.

Now, I'm not proud of this "workaround", but it's not exactly new, so I
don't see why we should rush to fix it now.  Given how late we are in
this staging cycle, I would prefer delaying any proper fix until the
next round.