guix-devel

Re: Python 2 retirement — what should Guix do?

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Python 2 retirement — what should Guix do?
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 23:08:05 +0200

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 10:42:43PM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> Not even the Ruby guys fucked up so badly with the transition to 2.0!
> And that was bad enough. Especially the change in behaviour of Proc.

Actually it was the transition from 1.8 to 1.9 where many gems were
incompatible because of block scoping changes. Proc was part of that
and where my gems had most problems ;). This was around 2008 and it
took a few years befor 1.9 became the standard and most had moved
across. But I still have some code that runs on 1.8 only. That is why
Guix has

  https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/master/ruby-1.8.7-p374.x86_64-linux

Even though it has hardly any supporting modules in Guix.  Is that not
great? I think it is. Try and run Ruby 1.8.7 on most other
distributions today.

For Python2 we also have some C modules that are just not worthwhile
porting to Python3. Mostly because we are the only ones using them! It
it would take person months migrating them. We'll just live with those
and run them as external Python2 processes from Python3. That is
pretty OK even if it does not win points for beauty.

Pj.