guix-devel

Re: preparing the next release v0.15.0

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: preparing the next release v0.15.0
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 15:11:42 +0200

Hi Ludo,

> The plan looks good to me!
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> * breakage since the last core-updates merge.  Since the long overdue
>>   merge of the “core-updates” branch we have a few serious problems on
>>   i686 (e.g. the gst-plugins-base package) and armhf.  Who would like to
>>   lead an effort to investigate and fix these problems?  (Note: you
>>   obviously don’t need to fix them yourself, just keep track of these
>>   things and coordinate with others who investigate them.)
>>
>> * collecting new features and big changes in NEWS.  The NEWS file
>>   already lists some of the changes that the next release would provide
>>   compared to 0.14.0, but we all know that there are more.  Who would
>>   like to take charge of the NEWS file?  This involves asking people for
>>   changes they would really like to be mentioned and coordinating with
>>   other volunteers to search through all commits since v0.14.0 to find
>>   noteworthy changes.
>
> Agreed with all this.  :-)

Excellent!  Now we just need volunteers who would like to help with
these tasks :)

I’d like to reiterate that none of these tasks should be done by one
person alone, but we do need someone for each task to keep track of
progress or to report on hurdles.  So if anyone would like to help out,
please do respond here.

>> * Finding a date.  Some of the fixes that need to be included may have
>>   to end up on core-updates.  According to my calendar core-updates will
>>   be frozen on <2018-08-06 Mon> and be merged on <2018-08-20 Mon> at the
>>   latest.  That’s a little late, so if we can solve problems on the
>>   master branch with architecture-specific workarounds that don’t result
>>   in rebuilding the world (in addition to proper fixes on core-updates)
>>   that would be best.  What do you think: is July 27 (2018) realistic?
>
> I would prefer an earlier date even, perhaps around June 30.

June 30 sounds good to me.

--
Ricardo