guix-devel

Re: [shepherd] herd status suggestion

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [shepherd] herd status suggestion
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 21:39:05 +0200

Hello Nils,

Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 982 bytes:
>>
>> Hi Nils,
>>
>> > abyayala$ sudo herd status tor
>> > Status of tor:
>> >   It is stopped.
>> >   It is disabled.
>> >   Provides (tor).
>> >   Requires (user-processes loopback syslogd).
>> >   Conflicts with ().
>> >   Will be respawned.
>> >   Last respawned on Sun Jun 10 08:08:45Z 2018.
>> >

>> > Would it be an option to change the status output to,
>> > if it conflicts with no other service:
>> >
>> >   Conflicts with no other services.
>> >
>> > instead of the representation of an empty list?

[...]

> Related and similar: Would it be reasonable to change the output from
> list-style,
> like:
>   Depends on: (foo bar irks boot)
>
> to the probably tiny bit better readable:
>
>   Depends on: foo, bar, irks, boot
>
> for humans?

I agree with both proposals.  :-)

The output of ‘herd status’ is meant for humans to read, not for
machines to process, so it makes sense to make these changes IMO.  For
machines there’s a well-defined protocol that can be used, so we should
do our best to make ‘herd status’ useful to humans.

If you want to give it a try, this is all happening in
modules/shepherd/scripts/herd.scm.

Thank you,
Ludo’.