guix-devel

Re: my latest blog post

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: my latest blog post
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 12:39:40 +0200

Catonano <address@hidden> writes:

> Assuming that users read academic articles about programming languages in
> order to know your way aroung Guile is not reasonable

I fail to see how this follows from Guile’s lack of a macro stepper.  To
be honest, I never even heard of a macro stepper before.  And I have
never felt the need to read computer science papers to “know my way
around Guile”.  (I have not studied computer science, so it isn’t that
my background allowed me to skip papers that are mandatory for other
users of Guile.)

The sentence above seems like an exaggeration to me.

(I say this with no hostility, just with surprise.)

> The monad accessing the daemon, how would I delve in it ?

The Guix manual should explain it fully, while assuming that the concept
of a monad is known (because that’s not a Guix or Guile invention).  If
it fails to do that then the Guix manual should be updated.

--
Ricardo