guix-devel

New ‘guix pull’

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: New ‘guix pull’
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 12:16:33 +0200

Hello Guix!

For those who haven’t been following along on
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22629#35>, I have just
pushed a new ‘guix pull’.

To summarize, ~/.config/guix/latest no longer exists.  Instead
~/.config/guix/current is populated with a complete Guix (without
‘guix-daemon’ though), including an up-to-date manual and so on.
~/.config/guix/current is a regular profile, meaning that you can
roll-back to a previously-pulled Guix and so on.

There are also problems that this does *not* solve: in particular,
building Guix still takes too much time if you don’t have substitutes
available (berlin.guixsd.org provides substitutes for it, but
mirror.hydra.gnu.org does not.)  We’ll get there!

There are also now many ways in which we could improve the API:
implementing ‘guix pull -l’ that would show not just the generations but
also the commit IDs, recording more meta-data so that ‘guix pull’ can
for instance list all the new/upgraded packages between two generations,
adding support for “channels”, etc.

Feedback welcome!

Ludo’.