guix-devel

Re: Customize GuixSD: Use Stock SSH Agent Everywhere!

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Customize GuixSD: Use Stock SSH Agent Everywhere!
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 17:31:31 +0200

Joshua Branson <address@hidden> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> This kind of "tutorials" is useful enough it probably deserves a
>>> mention in the Guix manual.  What do you think?
>>
>> The manual is mostly a reference.  I wouldn’t mind having a separate
>> Texinfo document as part of the repository that contains only tutorials
>> and examples, with cross references to the manual.
>
> Speaking of that, I'm quite fond of how the arch wiki has a page for
> many popular packages.  If I wanted to add the Emacs page to the guixSD
> manual, would that be acceptable?
>
> https://wiki.parabola.nu/Emacs

This is the parabola wiki :)

This article originates from Arch Wiki, which in the mean time trimmed
much of the content that still shows on Parabola Wiki, replacing it with
pointers to the official manual instead.  I think it's a much saner
approach.

I believe Guix documentation should only deal with what is specific to
Guix.  In the case of Emacs, it could mention that many third-party
packages (those on ELPA, etc.) are readily available as Guix packages.

I'm currently dealing with TeXlive and some documentation about how to
install binaries, packages, and configure the whole thing could help a
lot I think.

In the line of what Ricardo suggested, this might not necessarily fit
the Guix manual.  It could fit another "Guix package reference" info
page.
Or maybe a dedicated section in the Guix manual?

--
Pierre Neidhardt