guix-devel

Re: GSoC: Adding a web interface similar to the Hydra web interface

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: GSoC: Adding a web interface similar to the Hydra web interface
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 12:39:09 +0200

Hi Tatiana,

> I've just made a new commit. I tried to fix codestyle mistakes but I'm not
> sure that I managed to cover them all.

Thank you for making the extra effort!

One more thing I’ve noticed is that your patches add trailing whitespace
to some lines (i.e. a line that ends on a space, or an empty line that
only contains a space character), which we try to avoid.  This is just a
minor problem, but we would probably edit these commits to remove these
whitespace changes before merging the commits into the “master” branch.

You are welcome to rewrite history in the “web-interface” branch,
i.e. you can fix the previous commits in your local repository and then
force push them to “web-interface”.  (Please be extra careful not to
force push to the “master” branch.)

Another thing I saw is things like this:

    '(
      something else …)

i.e. an opening parenthesis followed by a line break.  Please try to
avoid those.

> I've added static files support and an example of css style file.
>
> Also, I've added new html templates displaying builds of a specification.
> It is available via "/status/<repo_name>" or via a link from the main page.

Excellent.

For your latest commit please use this commit message body instead:

* src/cuirass/http.scm (%static-directory, file-mime-types): New variables.
(url-handler): Add handler for “/status/<repo_name>”; add handler for
static files.
* src/static/style.css: New file.
…

I recommend merging this commit with the previous commit.  You can use
“git rebase -i $start” to interactively rebase commits and mark the last
two commits to be squashed into one commit.  Please reword the commit
message as well.

I know that this may seem like nitpicking, but it’s a good habit to
acquire early — fixing up commits at the very end is much harder in my
experience.

> Now I'm not sure what I should display in the tables and what pages to
> implement in the interface? I think it would be helpful if I have a more
> realistic database for understanding database structure and testing
> purposes. But I don't know how can I get one.

You can download a copy of the Cuirass database as it is used on
berlin.guixsd.org, one of the build farms of the Guix project.  I have
copied it here:

    http://bootstrappable.org/cuirass.db

It is 12G(!), which indicates that Cuirass adds way too many entries
than absolutely needed.  Ludovic wrote on IRC that we don’t seem to
check if a record already exists when two subsequent evaluations yield
the same build.

I have also put up a smaller database at

    http://bootstrappable.org/cuirass-small.db

which also came from berlin.guixsd.org.  I don’t know if that one would
be useful to you, though, as it is only 48kB in size.

--
Ricardo