guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 09:10:51 +0200

On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 04:24:11PM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 01:59:24PM -0400, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
> > I use IceCat personally and FF Dev Edition at work.  Until the recent
> > move to WebExtensions, I used the same addons.  I use NoScript and Tor
> > and have no problems.  But I rarely enable JS and never run proprietary
> > JS, so my exposure may be different.  I do not use LibreJS (because I
> > don't usually run JS at all in general and it historically did not play
> > well with NoScript; maybe that has changed).
>
> Disabling all extensions makes Icecat work much better. I'll try it as
> a default now.
>
> Question: why do we switch on extensions by default? Sure confused my
> experience.

So I have been using Icecate for 10 days. It is frustrating because it
does crash every other hour on some JS load. The error always looks like

Extension error: SyntaxError: in strict mode code, functions may be declared
only at top level or immediately within another function
resource://gre/modules/ExtensionUtils.jsm ->
moz-extension://73353d04-3869-453b-8b9b-f71ceaae6e26/polyfill.js 63
[[Exception stack
Current stack
address@hidden://gre/modules/ExtensionUtils.jsm:25:110
address@hidden://gre/modules/ExtensionContent.jsm:197:9
address@hidden://gre/modules/ExtensionContent.jsm:273:5
address@hidden://gre/modules/ExtensionContent.jsm:463:11
address@hidden://gre/modules/ExtensionContent.jsm:342:7
]]

I only have noscript and adblock plus installed and running. Any ideas?

I know I can file it as a bug, and we should if there is no idea. But
I think I'll go to FF again if this persists.

Pj.