guix-devel

Re: Code of Conduct and Diversity Statement

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct and Diversity Statement
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 10:08:03 +0200

From:
https://www.recurse.com/blog/83-michael-nielsen-joins-the-recurse-center-to-help-build-a-research-lab

> To give some flavor for the types of work we’re excited by, here’s a
> small sampling of things that inspire us: [...] Systems Software
> Research is Irrelevant[1] [...]

I've read this paper (it's rather short) and as the title suggests, it
arguments over why there won't be anything new in research and that Unix
is "good enough".

This was 2000 and maybe there was nothing better, but in my opinion it
does not make those statements any less fallacious: Unix had issues
(people have written entire books[2] about it) and claiming to know to
where research is going to end is somewhat arrogant, isn't it?

And see, in 2008 Eelco Dolstra publishes the seminal paper "NixOS: A
Purely Functional Linux Distribution"[3], which proved Rob Pike awfully
wrong.

Anyways, saying all that because while Recurse looks great, it's sad
that their research initiative doesn't seem to believe in NixOS / GuixSD
:( Or did I get it wrong?

[1]: http://doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/utah2000/utah2000.html

[2]: http://web.mit.edu/%7Esimsong/www/ugh.pdf

[3]: https://nixos.org/~eelco/pubs/nixos-icfp2008-final.pdf