guix-devel

Re: Dealing with language bindings for libraries.

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Dealing with language bindings for libraries.
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 20:45:48 +0200

Fis Trivial <address@hidden> writes:

> An ideal scenario would be the one that we can specify multiple outputs
> for one packages, each output corresponds to one language binding, and
> we can specify different dependencies and build system for each
> output. Is there any chance we can do that in guix?

Yes, we already use multiple outputs in some packages IIRC.  We can also
reuse parts of build systems without having to reimplement them
manually.  We would simply reference them with something like this:

  (add-after 'install 'strip-jar-timestamps
    (assoc-ref ant:%standard-phases 'strip-jar-timestamps))

Using separate independent outputs means that users who fetch
substitutes can avoid fetching irrelevant substitutes.  This doesn’t
help users who build everything from source as they’ll need to have the
dependencies for all language bindings.

Dependent on the way this is implemented we can also have a common
package and use that as an input to the separate language binding
packages.  There would be no wasted cycles as the common parts would not
need to be rebuilt.

--
Ricardo