guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Mon, 07 May 2018 20:06:18 -0400

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 06.05.2018 um 16:05 schrieb Mike Gerwitz:
>> In the case of their addon
>> system, they encourage installation of non-free addons, which is against
>> the Free Software Distribution Guidelines (FSDG), and is the same reason
>> that Debian isn't a recommended free software distribution.
>>
> My aim is to empower people, not to infantilize them.
>
> If we disable adding add-on, we appoint ourselves as guardian for
> immature users. And this IMHO is contrary to "free" (as in "free speech").

To be clear, our IceCat package allows you to install any compatible
addon, regardless of its license.  You are free to navigate to
addons.mozilla.org and install whatever you wish.  It's quite easy.

However, IceCat is modified to not direct users to that site by default.
That's part of our commitment as a project to not steer users toward
nonfree software.

I think it's rather absurd to suggest that we are somehow violating your
freedom by making a commitment as a project to exclude software that
doesn't meet our standards.

You can do what you want with your own computer.  Guix makes it
unusually easy to add your own packages, or modify our existing
packages, while still receiving updates from us.

Can you explain more clearly how we are infringing on your freedom?

       Mark