guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 10:05:35 -0400

On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 11:48:28 +0200, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Am 06.05.2018 um 03:24 schrieb Mike Gerwitz:
>> On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 19:06:27 -0300, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
>>> I have noticed somepeople advocating for packaging Firefox in GNU Guix,
>>> and since FF still has freedom issues, I see it as a no-go.
>> A simple option for now is to package FF by disabling those features and
>> _not_ providing an alternative.  For example, IceCat loads a different
>> addon page than FF; we could just load no addon page at all, or a static
>> one saying that it's something'll we'll get to eventually.
>
> Not packaging FF or crippling FF is a no-go! Doing so will discourage
> users from using GuixSD and Free Software.

Packaging Firefox as-is is not an option.  In the case of their addon
system, they encourage installation of non-free addons, which is against
the Free Software Distribution Guidelines (FSDG), and is the same reason
that Debian isn't a recommended free software distribution.

https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer