guix-devel

Re: Building guix-modular with cuirass

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: Building guix-modular with cuirass
Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 15:52:25 +0200

Hey,

> In the near future, I want ‘guix pull’ to install a ‘guix’ binary as
> opposed to simply dropping a bunch of modules in ~/.config/guix/latest.
> At that point we won’t have this kind of problem anymore.

On the same topic, as I explained in a previous email
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00222.html) my
main use-case for cuirass is to evaluate my manifest and build the
corresponding packages.

I could use 'cuirass-jobs' procedure and set arguments to (#:arguments
(subset . "my-package-1" "my-package-2" ...)). The drawback of this
approach is that everytime the manifest is updated, a reconfigure of
cuirass service is needed to update the package list.

I'd like to have an upstream mecanism were cuirass evaluates a local
manifest file (or even better take it from a git repository), an build
all the corresponding packages. The only configuration input from the
user would be the path of his manifest.

My first idea would be to add a piece of code in
build-aux/hydra/build-manifest.scm that would pull a manifest specified
as an argument, evaluates the packages it contains and feed it to
cuirass but that sounds a bit hacky.

Any better idea ?

Thanks,

Mathieu