guix-devel

Re: Successfully running GNOME on core-updates + staging

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Successfully running GNOME on core-updates + staging
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:13:34 +0200

> Hi Mark,
>
> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I've successfully updated my x86_64 GuixSD system to my private branch
>> based on 'core-updates' with recent 'master' and 'staging' merged into
>> it.  This system includes a full GNOME desktop environment plus a few
>> programs based on Qt.  It all works quite well.
>>
>> My branch includes a few draft fixes and workarounds that I haven't yet
>> pushed, but nothing that would require many rebuilds to update later.
>>
>> So, I think it might be time to ask Hydra to build all of core-updates,
>> after staging is merged into it.
>
> I agree.  There was an issue with cross-compiling ‘bootstrap-tarballs’
> that Marius reported a few days ago, which I’m looking into right now.
> I don’t expect the fix(es) to trigger a full rebuild.
>
> If Marius and others don’t object, I’d say go for it!

No objections from me.  However I do have a bunch of fairly innocent
updates in my queue, such as SQLite, Glib and CMake.  It's also tempting
to get rid of that Perl graft.  Is it too late for such changes?

Hydra will be busy for a couple of days with 'master' and 'staging', so
there's little use in starting it immediately.