guix-devel

Re: 05/06: gnu: rust: Don't build for "native" arch on ARM.

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: 05/06: gnu: rust: Don't build for "native" arch on ARM.
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 10:45:33 +0300

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 09:17:12AM +0200, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 16:05:04 -0400
> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > If it would be beneficial, you might consider using gcc-7 to compile
> > 'rust', by adding 'gcc-7' to native-inputs.  We're already using gcc-7
> > to compile a few other packages, including linux-libre on x86_64.
>
> Yeah, it would be possible.

<snip>

> Also, AFAIK "-march=native" autodetects the CPU in the build machine
> and then optimizes for exactly that CPU.  Arguably that's not what
> we want in general.

This was my original intent with commenting out the '-march=native', it
just seemed that it cropped up as a build error more often with arm*
processors.

As far as aarch64 goes, it doesn't build fully in either case, but the
error I experienced with '-march=native' is gone when I add gcc-7 as a
native-input.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר