guix-devel

Re: Provide python:debug with --with-pydebug switch

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Provide python:debug with --with-pydebug switch
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 15:13:05 +0200

Hi Pjotr,

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> Attached a quick hack I did to get a Python interpreter with full
> debug facilities. It includes the built-in debugging/tracing
> facilities. I think this is a valuable thing to have as a package
>

> https://pythonextensionpatterns.readthedocs.io/en/latest/debugging/debug_python.html
>
> especially when writing native extensions (shared libs)

IIUC --with-pydebug instruments the bytecode interpreter, whereas the
“debug” output allows us to get debugging symbols for libpython.so,
which may be useful but is a separate issue, right?  (I agree both are
useful, though.)

I suppose --with-pydebug incurs some run-time overhead, so I think it
makes sense to make it a separate “python-debug” package.

What do Pythonistas think?

If there are no objections, I’ll push your patch minus “#:tests? #f”.

Thanks,
Ludo’.