guix-devel

Re: wrapping up the Newmoon Browser package

From: ng0
Subject: Re: wrapping up the Newmoon Browser package
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 13:30:38 +0000

ng0 transcribed 3.2K bytes:
> Chris Marusich transcribed 3.2K bytes:
> > ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > Issue 1 I addressed so far: The default homepage (after first
> > > start and in general default) called a website which is questionable
> > > in my opion: https://palemoon.start.me
> >
> > Can the home page be customized in Newmoon?  If so, then in my personal
>
> Yes, I think you can create a profile and log in to customize.
>
> > opinion it would be good to leave the upstream default as-is, and let
> > the user decide whether to change it.  The page seems fairly benign to
> > me, but I understand that some people might object to some of the links
> > (e.g., to Facebook).
> >
> > As far as the FSDG is concerned, I don't think this matters either way.
>
> Huh. So this page would be okay in FSDG? Interesting.
> I object to its content, but changes are trivial to make.
>
> > > Next, can I keep the default bookmarks? They are:
> > > - https://www.palemoon.org
> > > - http://forum.palemoon.org/index.php
> > > - https://www.palemoon.org/faq.shtml
> > > - https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml
> >
> > These all seem benign to me; presumably they will be useful for a user
> > of a browser based on Pale Moon, right?  Again, I feel like respecting
> > upstream's decision on the defaults is the right way to go.
>
> Ok.
>
> > > Finally, about:addons let's you install Addons from 2 repositories:
> > > Pale Moon Add-ons Site and Mozilla Add-ons Site.
> > > "Search all add-ons" queries the 2 repositories and lets you install
> > > add-ons from the repositories.
> > >
> > > In an ideal world, I would have figured out the integration for
> > > plugins in the gnu-store by now. But I'm still testing, so:
> >
> > Do these add-on repositories contain or encourage the use of non-free
> > software?
>
> It's the original Mozilla Webstore. I have no issues with that, but as far
> as Icecat existence goes, GNU seems to have a problem with it.
> The Pale Moon / Moonchild Productions webstore is more restricted in
> licenses as far as I remember.

http://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ works manual. content from the few
samples
I looked at point out licenses, only OSI-approved I found.
If you submit an addon: http://developer.palemoon.org/Add-ons:Site/Submit
you get to go through the submission and acceptance process, which includes:
- Optionally, you could also provide the following, to be shown on the add-on
listing:
  - License - both OSI-approved licenses and custom licenses are allowed here.
If a license is not provided, a default copyright notice is shown instead.

The current webstore of Mozilla is, unless you know how to navigate to old
versions,
useless because in New Moon it displays this for Ghostery:

"This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 52.0). You
are using Firefox 27.9."

Is this good enough for us to mark Mozilla webstore as unusable for those
who don't want to hack around it ;)?

> > If so, to remain FSDG-compliant, it might be necessary to
> > change Newmoon so that it points somewhere else, such as the Free
> > Software Directory (this is what GNU Icecat does when you click on "Get
> > Add-ons").
> >
> > On the technical side of things, is it possible to install plugins in
> > the browser, or does it fail with Guix-specific problems (e.g., tried to
> > modify a file in the immutable store)?

I'vre installed Ublock updater, worked. I installed another addon, same.
So I guess despite my very small sample we could say in general addons
are functional.