guix-devel

Re: XWayland, /tmp/.X11-unix

From: Thorsten Wilms
Subject: Re: XWayland, /tmp/.X11-unix
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 14:04:10 +0100

On 22.03.2018 00:00, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

Thorsten Wilms <address@hidden> writes:

Initially I thought creation of /tmp/.X11-unix should be tied to the
xorg-server-xwayland package, but since it is more generic: which
component should create that dir on Guix SD (based on what)?

It is needed at run-time (because packages cannot create files outside
of their store prefix at build time), so it should be created by a
system service.  A service is not the same as a shepherd service; we
also have activation services that run once and only create a file or a
directory.

After 2 to 3 hours of research, going through documentation and various .scm, I still don't even manage to write a service for my system configuration that just does a (mkdir-p "/tmp/.X11-uni"), so figuring out how to make that dependent on the actual need is way outside my capabilities.

Should I file a bug, and if so, against what?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/