guix-devel

split up python-pyqt or python-matplotlib?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: split up python-pyqt or python-matplotlib?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 14:21:39 +0100

Hi Guix,

“python-pyqt” depends on all of Qt.  “python-pyqt” is also an input to
“python-matplotlib” because that package has a Qt rendering backend.

I wonder if we can make this lighter by default.  The scientific Python
stack depends on “python-matplotlib”, but it seems like a very expensive
dependency as it pulls in *all* of Qt *and* Gtk+.

Is it feasible to split up “python-pyqt”?  If not, can we reasonably
decouple matplotlib from pyqt?

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net