guix-devel

Re: installing python 2 and python 3 in the same profile

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: installing python 2 and python 3 in the same profile
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:30:08 +0100

On 14/03/2018 12:39, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
Am 13.03.2018 um 22:52 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
   2. Use different package names when we know things can be
      parallel-installed: “python2” vs. “python” (I’m talking about the
      package name, not its version string.)  That’s what distros usually
      do, and I think it’s good enough.

I'd prefer this.

That sounds like a good basis. But perhaps "python" for Python 2 and "python3" for Python 3 would make more sense, since those are the names of the executables.

This does of course raise the question of how this will evolve in the long run, but since so many bad decisions were already taken, I am not trying to guess what will happen. For now, the upstream recommendation remains to use "python" and "python3" to distinguish the executables. But what will happen in 2020? The Python community might be tempted to change the naming to mark the end of Python 2 support, but that would be at the price of another round of breaking everybody's scripts.

Konrad.