guix-devel

Re: Use guix to distribute data & reproducible (data) science

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Use guix to distribute data & reproducible (data) science
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 18:48:48 +0100

Dear,

>From my understanding, what you are describing is what bioinfo guys
call a workflow:

 1- fetch data here and there
 2- clean and prepare data
 3- compute stuff with these data
 4- obtain an answer
and loop several times on several data sets.

Guix Workflow Language allows to implement the workflow, i.e., all the
steps and their link to deal with the data.
And because Guix, reproducibility in terms of softwares comes for almost free.
Moreover, if there is some channel mechanism, then there is a way to
share these workflows.

I think the tools are there, modulo UI and corner cases. :-)

>From my point of view, workflows are missing because of manpower
(lispy guy, etc.).

Last, a workflow is not necessary reproducible bit-to-bit since some
algorithms use randomness.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
simon