guix-devel

guix pack -f docker ... works!

From: dvn
Subject: guix pack -f docker ... works!
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:17:58 +0100

I'm experimenting with `guix pack`, particularly with the docker format.

I want to generate a tarball like so `guix pack -f docker bash
figlet` -- and then after loading with docker, be able to run the packed
commands. No $PATH is set in the container, so after digging around in
the tarball, I decided to try something like this: `docker run -ti
profile:lhavpi5ngs7infrh9b4nppriy4azgbwv
/gnu/store/ars9lm9jk9hgdifg0gqvf1jrvz5mdg1j-bash-4.4.12/bin/bash` -- and
that works! woo!

This is much nicer than using an unverified Debian or Ubuntu layer in a docker
container, just have a
way of installing a few packages -- which is really all we need in containers
99% of the time.

What have other people done in this direction? What are some ideas for
setting up the $PATH in a nice way?

cheers,
Devan