guix-devel

Re: RISC-V port for GSoC?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: RISC-V port for GSoC?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 14:42:02 +0000

On Thu, 08 Feb 2018, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
> Hello ng0,
>
> address@hidden skribis:
>
>> On second thoughts I think it's okay to have all of this in
>> public, there are no stupid questions.
>
> In general it’s not OK to quote private messages on a public list
> without the author’s consent.
>
> No big deal in this case, but please keep that in mind in the future.

Okay, I'm sorry. Next time I do what I also do in this case,
summarizing without mentioning authors, or asking first. My bad.

>> On Mon, 05 Feb 2018, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>>> Heya,
>>>
>>> address@hidden skribis:

>>> What?  I didn’t add myself there I think, we should find out where that
>>> comes from.  :-)
>>
>> So.. who added Ludovic to the RISC-V item? And if not Ludovic,
>> who'd be a good mentor for this item (and has time to spend on
>> it)? Manolis has worked on porting to a different kernel, Efraim
>> has worked on porting to another architecture.
>
> To give some context, the issue is about the RISC-V port item at
> <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2018>.
>
> I’m happy to help with Guix porting insight, but apart from that I’m not
> the most qualified person and I’d rather have someone else mentor it, if
> someone were to take this project.  Any takers?
>
> Actually I’m unsure how good of a project it is for GSoC.  GSoC is about
> development, but this one is not so much development, as Ricardo wrote
> in the context of Outreachy.

One could argue that this is development too, but little code
would be produced and it is more about getting code to run. In my
view it's development aswell, but I think we need something to
show Google in the end, and "Look 'ma, I made bootstrap
binaries!" is taking a very big u-turn around "writing original
code".
If we decided to cut the project from the list, I still have some
useful links and will open a bug ticket for it.

--
ng0 :: https://crash.cx
A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588 :: https://crash.cx/keys/