guix-devel

Re: Ruby on Rails (web-application framework) (and the wip-rails branch)

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Ruby on Rails (web-application framework) (and the wip-rails branch)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 22:34:31 +0000

Ben Woodcroft <address@hidden> writes:
> On 31/01/18 05:50, Christopher Baines wrote:
>> I think it would be good to see these packages in the master branch, and
>> would be up for trying to help towards this. Ben, do you have any
>> thoughts on the wip-rails branch?
>
> My main thought is thank you very much for digging this up. After we
> update the descriptions, synopses and lint each package, would you say
> that they are suitable for inclusion in master? It may be a good idea
> also to run an automated license checker to verify the copylefts.

I don't see any reason why we can't get these changes in to master, if
we neaten them up a bit. I'd definately like to see these packages in
master.

> The biggest issue I came across while creating the original package
> definitions was circular dependencies, AFAIR these issues were mainly
> solved by disabling tests in strategic packages. While I haven't tested
> this, my impression is that sometimes a packages was added to the
> wip-rails branch that did not end up being in the dependency graph of
> rails. If these packages are not useful in their own right e.g. if they
> are not maintained, then I think we should not bother to add them to
> Guix proper.
>
>> One way of working on this would be to get commits in that branch ready
>> to merge, either by just checking over the commits adding a single
>> package, or pulling a package out of the big commit at the head of the
>> branch [3]. Then once commits are ready, merge them in to master, and
>> rebase the branch.
>>
>> 3:
>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=wip-rails&id=9a46eda7ee40f305692c4af8880eec4efc61102d
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations of methodologies to follow, or want
>> to volunteer time to prepare and review commits?
>
> My idea would be to write a generalised 'add-packages-to-git' Guile
> script which takes the current state of that branch, adds each package
> into git separately, and then uses the dependency graph to reorder the
> commits appropriately.
>
> The commit message for adding a package is quite straightforward - I
> myself already use a little script to automate the process [0] for
> single packages.
>
> I think that a script of this kind would be quite useful outside this
> effort too - WDYT?
>
> ben
>

> [0]: https://github.com/wwood/bbbin/blob/master/guix-add.rb

The script does look useful, but I was on the train coming back from
FOSDEM today, and didn't have an internet connection, so I passed some
of the time by splitting the big commit up in to individual package
commits.

I removed the rails-wip file at the same time, and added things to the
ruby or rails modules. I also merged in the changes I made, which are a
mixture of updates and disabling test suites in to the commits adding
the respective package.

I've pushed these commits (there are now ~125) to a new branch,
wip-rails-2 [1].

I'm tempted to try and continue with a manual approach, as I think it
will be necessary to go through and check and lint each package in turn,
and if that is done by checking out the individual commits, then that
will detect any ordering issues (where dependencies are missing as they
are added in later commits).

The commits are mostly missing the changelog, as I think it might be
good to try and move some of the packages out of the ruby module if
appropriate.

Like the wip-rails branch, this new branch seems to be in a state that
I'm able to run a Rails application with it :)

1: http://git.cbaines.net/guix/log/?h=wip-rails-2