guix-devel

RE: Questions regarding offloading ( unprivileged setup , parallel build

From: YOANN P
Subject: RE: Questions regarding offloading ( unprivileged setup , parallel builds )
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 16:13:31 +0000

Hi,

Thanks you for yours answers :-)

> Indeed, though if you’re customizing things anyway, you could run:
>   ./configure --prefix=/my/prefix --sysconfdir=/my/etc

Thanks, I missed that part sorry

> Several machines can be used at the same time, no worries.  :-)

It is really nice if each dependencies could be build among different machines at the same time :-)

Anothers questions regarding the way the offload work:

- does the machines.scm is read at the start of the daemon or read each time the hook is called ? (just to be sure because the sources let me think it is read each time and is what i want)

- if a machine disappear during a build, does that build is retry on another machine ? is there a retry parameter ?

- Is there any project to had a parametrable post/pre offload-hook ? (Could be used to start preemptive cloud instances before a build and fill the "machines.scm" and shutdown instances at the end)

- No problem to use multiple daemon with the same store ? (I'm not sure of it because I never seen this kind of implementation on web, could be very useful if it not yet possible)

We could imagine a S3 storage for the store / state directories and when we need compute resources to build packages, only start preemptible instances who mount the same store through S3QL.

This way we only pay the storage for state / store directories

Best regards,
Yoann