guix-devel

Re: Translating to Chinese, Spanish and Japanese (and more)

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Translating to Chinese, Spanish and Japanese (and more)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 10:41:29 +0100

On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 10:28:20AM +0100, julien lepiller wrote:
> Le 2018-02-05 10:07, Pjotr Prins a écrit :
> > We would like have the website translated to Chinese and some other
> > languages that represent a large group of non-native English speakers,
> > such as Spanish, Bengali and Japanese. For this we need to add support
> > for i8n to haunt, which is a technical issue, but we also would like
> > to invite native speakers to come forward and perhaps introduce some
> > helpers who are interested in spreading free software in places that
> > need it!
> >
> > It is not meant to be a lot of work, one day per language would probably
> > do. But it needs to be someone who understands free software to get
> > the lingo right. How do you translate 'rolling software deployment'.
> > You don't want it to be 'fuming dragon on carpet', though that may
> > actually be the better representation ;)
> >
> > We can start simply translating the front page and perhaps one or two
> > blogs. I think that once we bootstrap there will be more people
> > pitching in. But you need to get the attention first.
> >
> > Just a small sacrifice of your time with tremendous potential impact!
>
> Hi,
>
> as I said during FOSDEM, I'm willing to translate the website, blog
> posts, and manual into French.  My only concern is that the translations
> may fall out of sync without anyone noticing.  With gettext, it's easy
> to know when strings are not translated, but what about the solution
> that would be used by haunt?

How do you plan to do the translation with Haunt?

I thought about making page translations possible by allowing page
bodies to be lambdas taking a page variant as an argument, e.g. a
string containing an ietf language code, and returning the body
S-expression.

Then the page variants could be specified per site and each page would
be generated once per variant.

A site’s post-template and collection-template could then also
optionally be lambdas returning SHTML instead of SHTML.

It should also be possible to specify a procedure to transform a base
page name and a language variant to a new page name.

I still did not have time to send a patch though…