guix-devel

Re: Can we speed it up? Prev: compiling guix is too slow?

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Can we speed it up? Prev: compiling guix is too slow?
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 09:15:37 +0100

On 05/02/2018 08:34, Pjotr Prins wrote:

compiled yet). Or generate a meta list for a source tree. Or
subcategorize packages so only those packages get included that are
asked for (assuming there are no deeper dependencies). For example,
few people need the bioinformatics packages. We could have the sub
section of the graph split out and have people do:

   guix package --topic=bio -i samtools

Or move special-topic packages to separate channels, once they get implemented. The hard part is of course *where* to split the graph, not how to implement it.

Sectioning the graph may be hard (you'd be inclined to section off
languages and window managers), but I think it can be dictated by
whether a sub graph can live on its own.
I wonder if anyone has analyzed the dependency graphs of software packages (not necessarily for Guix, some big distribution like Debian would be more interesting), with the goal if identifying good splits based on simple criteria.

Konrad.