guix-devel

Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 13:20:29 -0500

On 01/27/2018 at 17:14 Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello,
>
> address@hidden skribis:
>
>> Before you build these two sites, how about considering a more unified
>> approach? IMO this will be easier for users to understand and require
>> less work. Using 'GuixE' to refer to everything in '(guix) Top' you
>> could say:
>
> I think changing names to address a problem that is very real, yet not
> that terrible, would be a bit overkill.  :-)
>
> Ludo’.

You misunderstand.  I do not propose changing names. I do propose that
you present Guix + GuixSD to the outside world in a unified way. I meant
"GuixE" as a "handle" to that idea. Sorry if that was misleading.

Here it is again w/o GuixE.  Please read this pretending you don't know
anything about Guix/GuixSD (can you? ;-) And please consider these
questions: Does this give me a quick idea what Guix is?  What it does?
Why I might want it?  What I should download? And let me know where it
falls short.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

The Guix software environment manager creates user environments that
are completely and independently specified by users. Guix users are
never are stuck needing software that a Sysadmin can't, won't, or hasn't
installed. A Guix user can run multiple, differing environments
simultaneously and can replicate any environment on any Guix run-time
platform.  Guix provides system-wide environment management when
appropriate to the run-time platform.  Creation, modification, and
upgrade are atomic and roll-back is instantaneous, so Guix users and
sysadmins are never stuck with a broken user environment or system.
Guix implements a functional specification of package, user, and system
configurations using the Scheme language.  Guix complies with the FSF
Four Essential Freedoms and Free System Distribution Guidelines and
provides easy and immediate access to the exact source being run.  By
default, Guix uses pre-built package substitutes from the Guix build
farm and mirrors but users may build any package, or a complete system,
from package developer sources.

Guix is available on multiple run-time platforms including bare metal
(GuixSD), Virtual Machines (QEMU image), and any GNU/Linux distro (Guix
Binary).

SALES MESSAGE:

Introducing Guix - the first software environment manager that solves
the problems of both sysadmins and users of GNU/Linux:

- sysadmin problems:

 - Because I have to modify the system to meet user needs and these are
   risky, I have to prototype every change on a test system

 - because system changes takes time, I can't keep up with user software
   requests and users are unhappy

 - Users request conflicting packages, so I can't make everyone happy

- user problems:

 - I need software that sysops won't or hasn't provided

 - sysops changes stuff and my environment breaks

 - I need software that sysops can't provide because it conflicts with
   other user requirements