guix-devel

Re: Overriding PostGIS install directories

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: Re: Overriding PostGIS install directories
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 11:32:41 +1100

Hi Ludo,

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> However, I’d recommend simply patching ‘configure’ itself in a snippet,
> using ‘substitute*’.  That way, you won’t have to add these dependencies
> and extra phase.

Thanks, substitute* is much neater and changing configure directly is
working.

I've just discovered though that the build includes makefile templates
from the input postgres package, eg
...-postgresql-10.1/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk and parents. These
makefiles are created from a separate run of `pg_config --sharedir` when
building postgresql.

I wonder whether it would be simpler to mock the "pg_config" program to
return the paths I want, rather than patch out all the calls to it. Is
that possible to do for a package and its inputs? What do you think?

Regards,
Ben