guix-devel

Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 08:42:29 +0100

Hi George,

> Our immediate challenge is that we seem to think we have at least two
> products. We need to decide if we really have multiple products and, if
> we do, how many and what they are. Then we must clearly separate them
> and make it easy for potential customers to determine which one they
> might use.

I agree.

It seems unfortunate to me that we have one shared website for GuixSD
and Guix.  As much as I love GuixSD, I think Guix is the main “product”
and GuixSD would need to be moved to a subsite.  That’s primarily
because GuixSD can be explained in terms of Guix, but explaining Guix as
“the package manager we use for GuixSD” seems less helpful.

We have many more use-cases for Guix than for GuixSD, Guix is mature and
GuixSD is still exploring ways to provide its own spin on traditional
features (e.g. “guix deploy”).

It’s much easier to tell people to “upgrade” to GuixSD when they already
know Guix as a mature, reliable, and understandable piece of software,
than to get them to “settle” for just Guix on a foreign distro, when
we’re “selling” them GuixSD.

My proposal is to keep https://gnu.org/s/guix focussed on Guix the
functional software environment manager, and have the distro under
https://gnu.org/s/guix/distro.

What do you think?

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net