guix-devel

Re: Installation

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Installation
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 20:35:14 +0100

> Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I believe, that we could make a powerful extension to guixsd if we could do
>> an installation from an installation description.
>>
>> I think this installation description should look like the operating-system description we
>> already have.
>
> In what way would it defer?  :-)
>
> ‘operating-system’ *is* an “installation description.”

I guess it would differ from what we have currently in that it would
also specify partitioning information, which is not handled by
“operating-system”.

Does it make sense to extend “operating-system” such that disk
partitioning information could be included and (*holds breath*) acted
upon automatically?

Acting on partitioning info is a little scary because it can easily lead
to data loss upon reconfiguration.  Small bugs could lead to very big
problems, so maybe this should not be default behaviour.

Yes, partitioning information is one of the primary missing point for me.
I don't think that it should be default behaviour either. Another thing that
could be useful is secret provisioning in some form.

I am thinking of this as a base of a bare-metal provisioning framework.
We could get some ideas, what else the other tools are doing.

I guess I've also read something about guix deploy. What is the current status of that?

One more thing: lvm really seems not to map well onto the current set of storage primitives.
I guess that lvm support could be added more cleanly with this kind of mapping:

Partition -> PV
Mapped device of PVs -> volume group
Partition of volume group -> LV

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net