guix-devel

Re: website: showcase or list videos and slides, sources of all talks

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: website: showcase or list videos and slides, sources of all talks
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:00:07 -0500

On 22/12/17 04:32, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Hello,

sirgazil <address@hidden> skribis:

On 20/12/17 17:32, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> skribis:

Am 19.12.2017 um 17:15 schrieb ng0:
It should be here:

    https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/tags/talks/
    https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/tags/papers/
This doesn't work really well to discover them, like on
a submenu page in the head menu, leading to these pages
or dedicated (non-blog, non-markdown) pages.

+1 for linking them from a more prominent page on the main website.

Blogs are like a diary, but not good for documentation an important content.

sirgazil, WDYT?  :-)

Well, I think we could convert the current Blog item in the website
menu into a Media item with the following subitems:

   Blog
   Papers
   Screenshots
   Talks

I like it; perhaps I’d leave “Blog” as a separate menu item though.

I'm fine with that too.

Just like screenshots and blog posts, some talks could be highlighted
in the home page. These changes could make it easier for people to
find them, I think.

Could be nice.

We can design the new pages and update current pages so that people
browsing the summaries of posts, talks, etc. know if the full content
of a given item contains video, slides, etc.

With these changes, which I think I can start designing right now, I
think it would not be necessary to list talks and papers in the Help
section again. What do you think, Mark?

I prefer the idea of a “Media” menu, but perhaps you’re suggesting to do
both?  That would be great.

Yes, I mean that we can have the "Media" menu, but we can also use, for example, the concept of post types in the blog (using post metadata), so that posts of types "video" or "slides" can have summaries that tell people that the post is a video or a slideshow.